Lie #1 - "Follow Your Heart"

September 10, 10:30am
Covering 1 John 4:7-11

In our culture, “love” is often associated with mysterious feelings and instincts. “How do you know it’s love?” “You just know.” Yet, we know from scripture and experience our feelings aren’t always reliable (Jeremiah 17:9). So how do you know you’re in love? What does love look like? In 1 John 4 we get a descriptive picture of true love, put on display by Jesus.

Lie #2 - "Marriage is a 50/50 Relationship"

September 17, 10:30am
Covering Ephesians 5:22-33
Guest Speakers: Don and Renee Worcester

Couples often go into marriage viewing it as an equal partnership where they complement one another. And much of the conflict and disappointment that occurs is due to the other person not carrying the weight expected. The reality is two sinful people will never do “their part” perfectly. The reality is faithful and joyful marriages require days, months, and even years where one spouse gives 80%, while the other can only give 20%. And sometimes both can only give 20%! And the need community to come alongside them. The bottom line is marriage is about 2 people serving one another, not give 50% or doing their part.

Equip Night w/ Don and Renee
Monday, September 18, 6:00pm
Click here to register

Lie #3 - "Words Will Never Hurt Me"

September 24, 10:30am
Covering James 3:3-6

“Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me.” This saying is a defensive mechanism at best and at worst, an unhelpful falsity. The book of James (along with politics, counselors, and anyone with a pulse) tell us words can give life or tear down. What we say, how we say it, and how we receive it is one of the key factors in whether relationships flourish or fail.


Lie #4 - "Time Heals All Wounds"

October 1, 10:30am
Covering Colossians 3:12-14

Time may conceal wounds, but it doesn’t magically heal them. Just like physical wounds, emotional and relational wounds need intentional care and attention in order to experience healing. In the bible we find specific steps to experience true healing in relationships.


Lie #5 - "I'm Better Off Alone

October 8, 10:30am
Covering Ecclesiastes 4:9-12

There’s insanity in isolation because we are wired for relationship. While relationships are messy, they are essential to following Jesus, finding meaning, and making a difference.


Lie #6 - "Sex Is Just Physical"
October 15, 10:30am
Covering 1 Corinthians 7:1-5
From science to the bible to experience, we know that sex creates an intense bond that bring immense joy, but also debilitating shame.
Lie #7 - "Singleness is Second Class"
October 22, 10:30am
Covering 1 Corinthians 7:7-8
Guest Speaker: Caleb Campbell
Singleness in our culture and even in the church can often be seen as waiting for what’s next. From Jesus to the Apostle Paul, we learn that singleness isn’t simply a time to prepare for significance in marriage, but a time to make significant impact.
Lies #8 - "Dating is Finding Someone Who Makes You Happy"

October 29, 10:30am
Covering 2 Corinthians 6:14-16a

Dating is more than hopeful swiping in an effort to fill your emptiness. Instead, it’s intentionally pursuing someone for a lifetime of purpose and holiness.

Lie #9 - "They'll Grow Out of It"

November 5, 10:30am
Covering Psalm 127:3-5

If we don’t disciple our kids, culture (and their phones) will. How can we be intentional parents, grandparents, and mentors to the next generation?

Lie #10 - "It's My Money"

November 12, 10:30am
Covering 1 Timothy 6:6-10

It’s not bad to have money, but it goes really bad when money has us. This is often seen most vividly in relationships. How can we use money and love people, and not the other way around?

Lie #11 - "You Should Be Over It By Now"

November 19, 10:30am
Covering Ecclesiastes 7:1-4

Putting a time limit on grief causes us to miss the blessing and healing that grief can be.


In our world, and even in the church, many relationships operate according to feelings, experiences, cultural norms, and even outright lies.

As a result, relationships aren't flourishing; they're failing. What if that could change? What if the lies were exposed and countered with God's truth? What if we reset expectations for relationships according to the God who designed relationships? What if we actually began to experience the joy and purpose God intended for our relationships?

"Lies About Love"
September 10 - November 29
@ 10:30am